Wednesday, September 24, 2014

London Fog Latte




Nothing says fall more than a latte. I know lattes are around all year long, but for me Fall & Winter are the best for lattes. They keep you warm and snug on those lovely cold nights, mornings and afternoons.

Despite its name, London Fog doesn't originate from London but from Vancouver and made famous by Starbucks. 

A London Fog is an Earl Grey Tea Latte. Earl Grey has a wonderful flowery and citrusy essence. It makes a delicate and flavorful latte. The key to any good tea latte is the quality of the the tea. Personally I prefer loose leaf tea. I buy my tea at David's Tea. They have 3 types of Earl Grey, original, Cream Earl Grey & Earl's Garden (which is the one I chose today). You can see, smell and taste the quality of the tea. There are good teabags as well, Twinings and Stash are good brands to chose from. Whichever way you like just make sure the tea is good quality. 

Now, I don't like to dirty extra dishes if I don't have to, so I make this latte in one pot, instead of brewing the tea and milk separate I do it together. Now you don't get a lot of milk foam, actually it's very little, which I don't mind. If you need the foam feel free to heat up some milk and use a milk frother to get your foamy milk. On days I want to indulge a bit I take an extra step and add fresh whip cream with a bit of grated nutmeg. 

It's a delicious and delicate sip of tea latte, perfect for anytime of day.


Buen Provecho!!

Good quality Earl Grey.


If using loose leaf place tea in a bag.


2 TBSP of loose leaf or 2 teabags

In a measurieng cup add 1 cup of water

In the same cup pour in 1 cup of milk

You will have 2 cups total

Put a small pot on medium heat. Yes, I'm making this at 5:24 am!

Add milk/water mixture into pot

Place teabag in pot

Use a spatula or spoon to submerge the tea a bit, it has the tendency to float up

Bring to a boil

Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes you have this beautiful caramel color.

Discard tea bag and pour tea into a 16oz glass or 2 8 oz glasses.



Add 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar, to your sweetness. Sorry about the blurry picture.

There it is, but wait whip cream is necessary!




I added 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream  and 1-2 tsp of powdered sugar, again your sweet preference, to a measuring cup

Using a  milk frother I whip the heavy cream until I get the consistency I want

Getting there

Perfect!

Put a dollop or two of whip cream

grate some nutmeg and


Voila! London Fog Latte! Delicious to the last drop!

London Fog Latte - 16oz

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Earl Grey Tea, loose leaf (or 2 teabags)
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1-2 tsp powdered sugar 
Grated nutmeg for garnish

Road Map:
1. Place 2 Tbsp of earl grey tea into a bag. 
2. Into a large measuring cup add 1 cup water and 1 cup milk, total liquid 2 cup. 

3. Place a small pot on medium heat. Add milk/water mixture into pot. Add tea bag, with the help of a spoon submerge the tea bag just to get it started. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Discard tea bag.

4. Pour into a mug, Make whip cream. Pour 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1-2 tsp of powdered sugar into a measuring glass. Using a milk frother, whip the cream to you desired consistency.

5. Put a dollop of cream into your mug and grate a bit of nutmeg as garnish. Delish!

6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment