Thursday, September 18, 2014

Grilled Sloppy Pimento Joes


Sloppy Joes are an easy quick fix weekday meal. It's so tasty, so simple and so quintessentially American. We love our Sloppy Joes, I always have the ingredients on hand. Tonight, I wanted to do something a little different. I not only wanted a grilled sandwich but I wanted it to be a grilled cheese sandwich. Sharp Cheddar, Sharp White Cheddar, Blue Cheese all good choices. But I decided to go a more Southern route, Pimento Cheese.

At the moment I'm a little obsessed with pimento cheese. I can't believe how ridiculously good it taste! I know it's not the best for you, but everything in moderation. So for this deliciousness, I took my favorite bread, the undisputed King of Breads (at least in my house), Sourdough! Being a San Franciscan, sourdough is in my veins. I love it over any kind of bread. It's amazing!! I took these marvelous bread slices spread a generous amount of pimento cheese, add some sloppy joe, closed it up and grilled to buttery toasted nirvana! It is crazy good. You get the saltiness and ooey gooey of the cheese and the sweet/tangy/ messy part of the joe, and oh my goodness!!!! I was so happy!

I hope you do the happy dance after trying this grilled cheese!

Buen Provecho!


Grilled Sloppy Pimento Joes - 4 servings

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef
1/4 of a large onion, diced
1 garlic clove, grated
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1-2 Tbsp McCormick Steak Seasoning (or your favorite steak seasoning)
1-2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Pimento Cheese, use my recipe!
8 slices of Sourdough bread
1- 2 Tbsp melted butter for grilling
Salt n Pepper



Saute on medium heat onions and garlic until soft, 4-5 minutes


Crumble, add steak seasoning and salt. Cook until it looks like.....

....this, brown bits!

Add Worcestershire sauce and using a wooden spoon scrap the bottom of the pan to get the flavor bits.

Add 8oz can of tomato sauce and add salt, season to taste.

Use the tomato can to measure 8 oz of beef broth.

Add 1/4 cup packed brown sugar.

Stir until well blended. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens.

Meanwhile, butter all the bread, flip and slather pimento cheese on all the bread.

Add sloppy joe on one side and close with another piece.

Place on a preheated griddle and cook until golden brown.

Flip cook other side.

Let it stand for a minute then cut in half.

Ready to Eat!!!

Road Map:

1. Add oil to a medium heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Dice a quarter of an onion and place in hot pan, grate garlic, add salt & pepper and stir until onions are soft, 4-5 minutes.

2. Once onions are soft crumble in ground beef, add steak seasoning and salt. With a wooden spoon crumble beef and let it caramelize to beautiful brown bits. Add Worcestershire sauce and using a wooden spoon scrap the bottom of the pan to get the flavor bits.

3. Once beef is browned, add tomato sauce, beef broth & sugar. Stir until combined, lower heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes until mixture thickens. Check for seasoning. Add more salt or sugar if needed.

4. Place a griddle on medium heat. Brush melted butter to all 8 slices of bread. Turn over and slather pimento cheese on all 8 slices. Add about 1/4 cup or less of sloppy joe, close it with another bread, put on the grill.

5. Grill until golden, 2 - 4 minutes each side. Let it rest for about a minute & cut in half. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment